Tuesday, February 12, 2008

LIGHT SERIES 2 RESTAURANT: BOBA HOUSE






There are many interesting lighting features that caught my eye when I entered the Boba House for the first time ever. Drop down pendent lighting and unusual lamp shades fill the space. In the dining room where I ate my meal, the lighting was quite different. The fixtures were small narrow direct luminaries that gave off a warm yellow toned luminance. It was surprising to me and my friend that these small fixtures lit the space. The lighting was very soft and made the space feel serene. There were also large openings in the partition that separated this dining space from another more prominently lit space, which the light poured in through to fill our space. The wall opposite the wall with the openings was covered in mirrored glass. This also helped fill the room with the soft light. This atmosphere was very interesting. It was neither overly bright nor overly dark. But there were not very many moments of contrast, shadow and light either though. It was just a constant, ( in the dining space only, not the entry/bar which was completely different). I am still not sure exactly how I feel about this lighting. It was pleasant but seems like it could have benefited from more contrasts in the space. Perhaps if they used the shaded pendant lamps that were found in the entry/bar in the dining space as well then that could help bring the space together in a more cohesive manner and also allow for more contrasts and visual interest in the dining space. But I am not totally against this soft uniform light.

No comments: